NOTE: Get the latest version (with "Find Updates" feature) from Mozilla [link]
updated on December 23, 2005
OS X Tiger Mail skin for Thunderbird 1.5+ [link]
DEC 23 update: Toolbar buttons mouseover effects fixed to ignore the window theme's mouseover effect, for full compatibility to all Visual Styles and WindowBlinds themes.
- Fully functional rounded search bar in all mail windows and address book sidebar
- Includes modded compact menu extension to hide menu bar and display Search image in toolbar; supports "Search" text headers in English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish languages
- Native Aqua scrollbars, droplist menus, and white-grey striped background menu lists
- Active, inactive and pressed states for all buttons
- Blue and grey background colors for selected, current and focused items
- Message status icons for unread, flagged, junk, attachments, replied and/or forwarded
- Large and small icon views
- Thin folder pane, and message pane with dimple resizer
- Extract "tigermail-1.5.6-tb.jar" from "tigermail-1.5.6-tb.zip".
- In Thunderbird, select Tools > Themes > Install, and open "tigermail-1.5.6-tb.jar". Note you will need to uninstall Tiger Mail 1.5.1 first since version 1.5.5 onwards is a new GUID.
- Select "Tiger Mail" and click "Use Theme".
- Restart Thunderbird.
Note installation of compact menu is optional
- Extract the modded "compact_tb.xpi" from "tigermail-1.5.6-tb.zip".
- In Thunderbird, select Tools > Extensions > Install, and open "compact_tb.xpi".
- Restart Thunderbird.
- Right click on the toolbar, select "Customize", then drag and drop the Search bar image to the menubar. Move up the icons from the mail toolbar to the menubar for a neater look. Then click View > Toolbars > Mail Toolbar Bar to hide it.
- To hide the functional search bar, click View > Toolbars > Search Bar.
- Note compact menu extension doesn't appear in the Extensions window due to a bug. However, it works fine in Thunderbird 1.5+.
- To uninstall compact menu, delete "compact-tb.jar" from "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\chrome". Then uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird. Until the extension developer updates compact menu for TB 1.5+, this is the only way to cleanly uninstall the extension.
- To align the "delete" button to start from the right border of the folder pane, right click on the toolbar, select "Customize", then drag and drop multiple "Space" icons (or "Flexible Space" if preferred) to the toolbar.
You can show/hide the fully functional Search bar from View > Toolbars > Search Bar.
- Re-arrange the toolbar icons as per the preview screenshot or to your liking.
- Complements any OS X theme (and even Windows Classic!), though it looks best with the Platinum Aqua sub-style WindowBlinds skin [link]
or OSX Tiger IV (Tiger sub-skin) Visual Style [link]
Things to try
+ Message filters. Click Tools > Message Filters to automatically take action for inbox messages by matching filter criteria. An example is automatically moving messages to a designated folder by sender or subject.
+ Junk mail filter. Click Tools > Junk Mail Controls. A Junk folder will then appear in the foler pane containing any junk mail.
+ Saved Search folders. Click File > New > Saved Search or enter search criteria in the functional search bar then click the magnifying glass icon and select "Save search as a folder". Smart virtual folders will then appear in the folder pane, and contain messages of matching criteria. This works for the respective email, rss and newsgroup accounts.
+ View Gmail messages in Thunderbird. Useful for offline reading. See [link]
Changes in Version 1.5.5
- Native Aqua scrollbars, menu droplists and menu lists
- Compact menu extension fixed
- Blue instead of grey selection color if multiple messages selected
- Fixed CSS image link for "New Card" hover small button state in address book
- Question mark alert icon updated for dialog box
- "Reply and forwarded" message status icon updated
- Updated documentation
* Magnus Wild for search bar CSS code and icons
* PDidee for the tiger mail resources